Patch 1.3.0 marks the beginning of our transition from Season 1 to Season 2. In this patch, we're introducing support for our new Grandmaster League, as well as the behind-the-scenes architecture that will allow us to smoothly change from one season to another. We're also adding in a brand-new season-based reward system known as milestones, which will come into play at the end of Season 1.
Now, you might be asking yourself "What are milestones?" Milestones are seasonal rewards that will be provided to ladder players in all of our StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty leagues. Each league will have four notable milestones. Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond and Master leagues will have milestones for the top 100, top 50, top 25, and top 8 players in each league division. For Grandmaster, milestones will be awarded to the top 200, top 100, top 50, and top 16 players. These milestones will each have their own unique icon (shown below) representing the league in which the milestone was earned and the actual milestone achievement.
Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, and Master League Milestones
The way these milestones will be awarded for Season 1 is pretty simple. When patch 1.3 is released, all players will be locked into their current league and division. You'll then be given one week to play out your remaining bonus pools (while promotions and demotions into and out of divisions will be disabled, you may still be able to move up or down within that division's ladder). Once the one-week "bonus pool" period is over, Season 1 will officially end and all ladder rankings will be finalized. Milestones will be awarded to the top players in each league division shortly after and we'll display the results in-game in the Leagues & Ladders section. This same process is expected to take place at the end of each season. (In a future patch, we also plan to add a dedicated page in the game UI that will save past performance history so that players can show-off all of their milestone achievements.)
Upcoming Grandmaster League Milestones
We hope that players enjoy displaying their milestones with pride, and are excited to see the close of Season 1 and the beginning of regular ladder seasons.
We’ve heard a lot of feedback since the launch of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty about the Join Custom Game interface navigation. We’ve definitely shared your concern about the current functionality and have integrated several substantial improvements.
Firstly, to clean up the interface, we’ve moved the Details panel into tooltips for describing each Custom Game. Just mouse over the games you want to know more about and you’ll find all the details you need. In addition, you can now bookmark your favorite Custom Games. This will allow you to find your favorite games easily, and the details tooltip will display the number of times a game has been bookmarked -- useful information, no?
Games are now organized into several pages to make finding your desired game type more intuitive and user-friendly.
- You’ll find a Most Popular section which includes all game types. The most played games will be placed at the top for you.
- The Featured section will be a collection of new games we think are fun. Our latest picks will be shown here.
- If you want to browse through Custom Games based on a specific category you find the most entertaining, select the By Category criteria.
- If you fancy searching for potentially fun game types that haven't yet attained Most Popular status, check out the Up & Coming section. The results you’ll find here consist of games your peers are starting to recommend frequently.
- You can also have a go at recommending Custom Games to others by trying Fun or Not. Players who choose this option will automatically be matched together for a specific Custom Game which meets some minimum requirements. Once finished, you’ll be asked whether or not you want to recommend the game you just played. Your recommendations using the Fun or Not system will directly influence the Up & Coming section. This is a great way to play and help promote fun custom maps that may have otherwise flown under the radar.
- At any time while using these various categories for finding Custom Games, you can bookmark your favorite games to easily find and play them again later. Just select the Bookmark page to find all of the games you’ve stored.
- Finally, if you know the title of the specific Custom Game you’re looking for, a search option has been added to the Join Custom Game interface.
We’re excited to introduce these improvements to help you find what you want, when you want, and with greater ease. Your feedback about the Join Custom Game interface updates is greatly appreciated, as we’re always looking for ways we can further improve Battle.net functionality, and the ability to navigate through all of the fantastic Custom Games being regularly added into circulation.